July 2012 - Newsletter
Download the PDF of the Newsletter here.
As of today, $313,611 has been raised toward the cost of our new building!
The building will cost $489,000 and that means we have approximately 64% of the total. Thanks to all who have given and continue to give to help pay for this new facility. Continuing through the end of this year any contribution of $500 or more made to the building fund will be doubled up to $150,000! This is possible thanks to the generosity of a donor who wishes to remain anonymous.
The progress is exciting. The building was purchased in early June, and the proper approvals that were necessary from the city of Olive Branch have been obtained including instructions for building upgrades and an adequately paved and striped parking lot.
Though our new facility is a completely functional building, it is necessary that we make some structural modifications to accommodate the GBN studio. Those plans are currently being finalized and will have to be approved by the city before we get a construction permit. The plans include a brick exterior to our studio addition and several cosmetic details that will match the existing building. We’ll keep you updated on our progress. We currently anticipate that the studio addition will be completed and ready to occupy before the end of 2012.
The first stage of minor renovations to the first floor has begun and is scheduled to be complete before the end of July. The last weekend of July we will begin moving some of our equipment into GBN’s new home. Initially we will use just a few offices while necessary changes are made to the rest of the building.
As Solomon prayed at the completion of the Temple (I Kings 8), we pray that this building will always be exclusively used to the glory of God, and that many more souls will one day be in heaven because sacrifices were made to build it. Thank you for what you are doing to make this possible.
Don Blackwell, Executive Director, GBN
Ralph Upton, Director of Finance
1. Contributions for operational expenses were down 21.1% from the same period last year.
2. However, contributions to our building fund were $233,000. (At the time of this printing, we are up to $313,611,000. We only need to raise an additional $175,389 to completely pay for the new building in Olive Branch, MS.)
3. Overall expenses were down $88,758.45, or 11% from last year.
4. Broadcasting expenses were down $157,033. This was due to the elimination of non-recurring “past due” bills from last year and our 50% rate reduction with C-band transmission. This also includes the cost of adding 3 more cable stations this year.
5. Promotional expenses were down $16,761.84, primarily due to mailing newsletters less frequently, utilizing more email communication, and mailing one-page thank you letters to our regular donors.
6. We reduced our long term loan by $247,000, leaving a balance as of July 1st of $152,172.78.
7. We have made some very tough, financial decisions over the past 18 months. However, the Lord has blessed GBN richly, and we should be able to completely retire our long term loan by the end of this year.
8. We look forward to completing the physical move of GBN offices and production studio to Olive Branch, MS on or before April of 2013. This facility should be less expensive to operate and is near our overseeing eldership at the Southaven congregation. Its location in the Memphis area also affords us opportunities to work with students from the Memphis School of Preaching and Freed Hardeman University.
9. We are thankful for your continued prayers, words of encouragement, and financial support as we spread the gospel of Christ to the whole world.
10. To God be all the glory!
Many congregations participate in our mission work by giving “Fifth Sunday” contributions to GBN thereby helping us meet our monthly budget. Maintaining sufficient funding in this trying economy is a challenge. Your financial cooperation in the outreach of GBN positively impacts millions of lives, by making possible the network’s daily, thorough and consistent Bible teaching. Please consider helping GBN with your “Fifth Sunday” contribution July 29, 2012.
For more information about donating, go to: www.gbntv.org/donate
Please sign up for our email newsletter and periodic email blasts at
Lance & Reni Pippin,
by East Ridge Church of Christ
Wed. night adult bible class
Alvie J. Byars,
Linda Ann Perry,
by Walter & Mary Ann Bishop
Marcus Leon Lenderman,
by the South Commerce
Church of Christ
John A. Duke,
by Mr. & Mrs. Billy Joe Roberts
Mrs. Betty Medley & family
by John Ed & Jo Frazier
Mrs. Margie Johnson,
by Curtis & Phyllis Duke
and Ruth Duke
by George & Barbara Jackson
Don Smith & Jim Lawson,
by Linda Workman
by Hollis & Nancy Tackitt
by Leroy & Melvis Staggs
by John Paul & Mary Davis
Grayson O. Gilbert,
by Mrs. Grace B. Gilbert
by the East Ridge
Church of Christ
Wed. night adult bible class
by Hollis & Nancy Tackitt
Len Earl Sparks,
by Bill & Kay Worsham
Haley & Hunter Lynch,
Robert & Ryder Lynch,
and Jesse & Jared Jones,
by Barbara Weatherspoon
by Jack & Lola Hilliard
and Keith & Diane Smith
by Charles A. Jones
Mark Teske, Director of Operations
On the Lord’s Day – We are expanding our Sunday morning lineup of On the Lord’s Day due to the continued positive feedback that we have received about the programs. On the Lord’s Day is a recording of the worship services at various congregations of the Lord’s church. It provides nonmembers with an example of what our worship services are like, while also providing a way for shut-ins and those unable to attend worship services with a chance to participate in worship on Sunday mornings.
Beginning in August, the services of the Gatlinburg, TN congregation will be added to the growing list of congregations whose services are aired. Rod Rutherford serves as the preacher for the congregation, and his material is broadcast locally on radio and cable TV in the area every week. Additionally, Gospel Meetings and other special events hosted by the congregation will air on the network as GBN Specials from time to time. We are thankful to the Gatlinburg congregation for their commitment in sharing the Gospel message throughout the world on GBN.
GBN Special Presentation - The GBN Special Presentation airs at 9:00 EDT / 8:00 CDT / 7:00 MDT / 6:00 PDT every evening (except Sunday). GBN Special Presentations are special events and productions from various locations that will be of interest to our viewers. Oftentimes, this is where you’ll find broadcast debuts and other special events.
If you’re interested in learning in advance what’s going to be on our GBN Specials, sign up to be a part of our email list and you’ll receive updates about these special programs.
GBN is overseen by the elders of the Southaven Church of Christ:
Larry Everson, Con Lambert, & Vern Schrimsher
1483 Brookhaven Drive
Southaven, MS 38671-3748
—Volunteer Area Representatives—
Jeff Archey • Ricky Burger
Frank Crownover • Chad Dollahite
Ken Gardner • Mickey Gattis
Michael Grooms • Greg Hamlin
Denver Horton • Kevin Key • James Lee
Rick Moody • Dwayne Odele • Keith Ritchie
Charlie Rose • Karl Tule • Russ Vickers
Phone toll-free: 866-525-4677
Please send correspondence to:
Gospel Broadcasting Network, Inc.
3969 Cloud Springs Road
Ringgold, GA 30736
The GBN building is located west of I-75
Exit 353, in the Gateway Mall.
GBN is a 501(c)(3)